Acid Reflux Symptoms
What are common acid reflux symptoms? People with
acid reflux experience a variety of symptoms.
Heartburn is one of them, but some people have acid reflux without heartburn. Some of the following symptoms of acid reflux are:
- Nausea - This is a queasy, sick feeling in the stomach, which can lead to vomiting.
- Regurgitating Food - This is when stomach acid flows back into the mouth while lying down - it gives a sour or bitter taste and is quite unpleasant.
- Dysphagia - Which is difficulty or painful swallowing, is another symptom people experience. After swallowing, you may feel like you have food stuck in your throat and you may choke.
- Tooth or Gum Disease - When stomach acid flows back into the mouth, this can irritate the gums, damage the enamel, or even cause tooth decay.
- Chest Pain - Similar to symptoms of a heart attack, this uncomfortable symptom causes a feeling that food is caught behind the breastbone. By the way, never ignore chest pain,
it could be a heart attack
What Are Some Tips To Alleviate My Acid Reflux Symptoms?
- Acid Laryngitis - Because of the acid affecting the voice box, you may experience hoarseness or the frequent need to clear your throat.
- Create A Food Diary - Certain foods trigger acid reflux, so it's a good idea to write down everything that you eat and the time at which it is eaten.
- Eat Smaller Meals - When the stomach is full, it puts pressure on the upper part of the abdomen which can relax the
lower esophageal sphincter .
- Eat Meals Low In Fat - Foods high in fat increases acid reflux, because fat delays gastric emptying.
- Keep Your Head Elevated At Bed Time - Gravity will cause stomach acid from traveling up to your esophagus. Place anything that's firm and durable under the legs at the head of your bed. You can also use a wedge-shaped pillow to elevate your head.
- Avoid Alcohol - Alcohol increases the production of stomach acid and relaxes the
lower esophageal sphincter.
- Refrain From Wearing Tight Clothing - Tight clothes will squeeze the stomach, forcing food up against the lower esophageal sphincter. Belts that are fitted tightly and slenderized undergarments are clothes that will cause problems.
One thing that makes acid reflux difficult to diagnose and treat is that symptoms affect people differently. Have you ever had a problem completely disappear the day before your doctor's appointment? The same can happen with acid reflux disease symptoms - people may not always experience these symptoms every day.
Symptoms of acid reflux can also have an effect on the sinuses.
Click here to learn more about acid reflux and sinusitis.
For a more complete definitive guide to acid reflux, heartburn and GERD: with illustrations and videos, that covers, diagnosis, treatments, medications and more....check out this web site on Acid Reflux Symptoms
Acid Reflux Symptoms
| Acid Reflux Sinusitis | Acid Reflux and Asthma
Hiatal Hernia and Acid Reflux
Return To Homepage From Acid Reflux Symptoms
Notice & Disclaimer: Acid Reflux Tips is for educational purposes
only and is not intended for medical advice. Always consult your doctor
with health questions about
specific medical conditions.